Fire damages Hudson home

Jan. 10, 2014 @ 08:16 AM

A home on Ridge Street in Hudson was damaged Wednesday evening by a fire sparked by the house's electricity meter, Hudson Fire Department officials said.

The homeowners, Jack and Norma Eller, called 911 shortly before 4:30 p.m. after smelling smoke, said a neighbor, Patricia West. Hudson firefighters ripped out a portion of the home's exterior wall and roof to get to the fire, Hudson Fire Chief Tommy Courtner said. The fire caused an estimated $15,000 damage to the house and $500 to its contents.

The couple is staying with a daughter in Wilkes County.