Five charged with prostitution
Five women were arrested at the Days Inn on U.S. 321 in Lenoir Thursday and accused of prostitution, Lenoir police said.
The arrests followed a month-long investigation by the Lenoir Police Department prompted by complaints about possible prostitution at the hotel.
"Prostitutes had been meeting people at the motel," Capt. Couby Stilwell said. "The clients were renting the rooms for the girls."
The investigation led officers to Internet advertisements soliciting sexual activity for money. Undercover officers arranged to meet the women, ranging in age from 31 to 54, at the hotel Thursday afternoon for sex. When the women arrived, they were arrested and charged with engaging in prostitution.
Police declined to identify the name of the website used for the advertising except to say it was not Craigslist, a site that elsewhere has been implicated for allowing sex ads.
• Phyllis Holton Moretz, 54, of Fourth Street Drive, Apt. 6, Hickory.
• Arlene Alexander, 30, of 808 Prospect St., Lenoir.
• Kristy Kay Laws, 36, of 318 Penley Court, Apt. I-34, Lenoir.
• Brandy Lynnette Henley, 31, 1754 Zion Road, Morganton.
• Teresa Annas Compton, 44, 4476 Sawmills School Road #5, Granite Falls.
All five were issued $2,000 secured bonds. Police said additional arrests may be made.