Man on house arrest jailed

Accused in 2008 of shooting two deputies during SWAT raid
Jun. 19, 2014 @ 08:40 AM

A man still awaiting trial on charges related to the shooting two Caldwell County Sheriff's Office deputies in 2008 was charged Tuesday with violating the terms of his electronic house arrest.

The electronic ankle bracelet that the sheriff's office uses to monitor the location of people under house arrest showed that James Vance Crawford IV, 34, of Blowing Rock Boulevard had left his house at a time he was supposed to be there, sheriff's Sgt. C.J. Bentley said. When Bentley went to Crawford's house to find out why, Crawford told him that he had been working at a McCreary Modern furniture plant, but when Bentley called the plant he was told that Crawford had not worked there for two or three months.

And when Bentley checked Crawford's ankle bracelet, it fell off Crawford's leg, Bentley said.

Crawford was charged with interfering with an electronic monitoring device, and was expected to be charged with resisting, obstructing or delaying an officer. His bond was set at $160,000 secured.

Crawford is accused of shooting then-Sgt. Erle Davis and then-Capt. Mike Longo when investigators raided Crawford's home of N.C. 268 on Sept. 10, 2008, and Davis returned fire, hitting Crawford 15 times in the lower back. Deputies were there to search the house because they said Crawford had sold cocaine to an informant twice earlier that week.

Crawford was charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon on a law enforcement officer. Crawford also was charged with possession wtih intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possession with intent to sell and deliver cocaine, manufacture of marijuana, manufacture of cocaine, maintaining a dwelling for a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Crawford eventually posted $125,000 bond and was released from jail but placed under house arrest.

In November 2012 a trial began, but Judge R. Allen Baddour declared a mistrial, and no new trial date has been set.

The reason for the mistrial was never revealed because of a gag order by Baddour, but the mistrial came after Baddour reviewed Longo's personnel file. Crawford's attorney had asked Baddour to review the personnel file to see if there was anything in it that could impeach any testimony Longo would give during the trial. Longo had resigned from the sheriff's office earlier that month along with three other employees, and two employees from the communications center, following an internal investigation of misconduct.

Crawford is due in Caldwell District Court on July 8 and July 14 for the most recent charges.