Filing period starts for some Caldwell County offices
The filing period for some local offices began Friday at noon and will continue through July 19 at noon.
In seven of the county’s eight municipalities, the mayor’s seat is up for grabs. Lenoir Mayor Joe Gibbons' term does not end until 2015. At least two council seats are up for election in each municipality.
Potential candidates can file at the Caldwell County Board of Elections office in the Alden E. Starnes Administration Building in downtown Lenoir. The filing fee is $5 and should be paid in cash.
Candidates for mayor or council must be residents of the municipality in which they’re running.
The following people filed for office on Friday, July 5:
- Jim Mackie for Mayor of Granite Falls. Mackie is currently on the Granite Falls town council.
- James “Ike” Perkins for Lenoir City Council. Perkins is a pastor and has not previously served in an elected office.
- Lloyd Robbins, Jr. for Cajah’s Mountain Town Council. Robbins is employed by the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office and has not previously served in an elected office.
- Incumbent: Ronnie Setzer for Cajah’s Mountain Mayor
- Incumbent: Donnie Potter for Sawmills Town Council
- Incumbent: Joe Wesson for Sawmills Town Council
- Incumbent: Mike Phillips for Rhodhiss Board of Commissioners
- Incumbent: Tony Colvard for Hudson Board of Commissioners
- Incumbent: Ron Stilwell for Lenoir City Council
The following terms are ending in each of the county’s municipalities:
- Lenoir: City Council members Lewis Price, David Stevens, Ron Stilwell and Merlin Perry (Perry filled a vacant seat in 2011)
- Sawmills: Mayor Bob Gibbs and Town Council members Donnie Potter and Joe Wesson
- Granite Falls: Mayor Barry Hayes and council members Caryl Burns, Frank Mackie and Max McRary
- Cedar Rock: Mayor George Robinson and council members Howard Edwards, Bill Johnson and Sharon Schmidt
- Rhodhiss: Mayor Rick Justice and council members Dean Isenhour and Mike Phillips
- Gamewell: Mayor Hunter “Pedro” Crump and council members Wilford Beane, Danny Kincaid and Dennis Mackie
- Hudson: Mayor Bill Beane and town commissioners Tony Colvard, Skip Downs and Carl Wagner
- Cajah's Mountain: Mayor Ronnie Setzer and council members Lois Andes and Cheryl Pritchard (Pritchard filled a vacant seat in 2011)