Remains of butchered deer left by road

They included 2 does, shot out of season
Dec. 04, 2013 @ 08:08 AM

As Elizabeth and David Abernethy left their Oak Hill cabin about 2 p.m. Sunday to go shopping on her birthday, they came upon a grisly sight.

"There were five deer on the side of the road," she said. "They had been butchered, the meat had been removed, along with the horns and legs. I was sick to my stomach, it was just awful."

Three bucks and two does had been killed, harvested and the remains left at the intersection of Duck Creek and Brush Mountain roads.

And on on Tuesday, this time about a half-mile away on their 74-acre property, Elizabeth Abernethy found another dead doe in a field about 75 yards off Duck Creek Road.

"It obviously had been shot, you can tell by the blow-out in its chest," David Abernethy said.

David Abernethy has owned the property for about 35 years and has allowed hunters on his property, hunters he trusts to dispose of the carcasses properly. According to the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, field-dressing a deer carcass is allowed using recommended procedures, including taking the discarded remains to the county landfill. Anyone who leaves deer remains on the side of the road could be charged with littering, a misdemeanor. If the remains are left near a water body, where contamination could occur, the charge could be elevated to a felony.

Bucks can be hunted with guns Nov. 25 to Dec. 14, but the season for doe hunting by gun does not begin until Dec. 9 and lasts until just Dec. 14. Hunting out of season is a misdemeanor, said Michael Hatley, District 8 captain for the Wildlife Resources Commission.

"It's very disheartening when you have a hunter who goes out and makes an illegal kill, or disposes of it improperly," Hatley said. "One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. Without a doubt, there are a few bad apples."


If you need to report a deer carcass improperly disposed of, or know of someone hunting deer out of season, please call the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission at 1-800-662-7137.