Power supply blamed for fire

Jan. 18, 2013 @ 08:05 AM

A power-supply failure sparked a fire that caused significant damage to the Church of God in Hudson late Wednesday afternoon.
The Caldwell County Fire Marshal’s Office was called to the scene at 333 Cedar Valley Road just before 4 p.m., after neighbors reported smoke coming from the building.
Fire Marshal Robbie Wilkie said damages were confined primarily to the attic and walls, and Deputy Fire Marshal Kevin Brown estimated damages at approximately $40,000. Brown says there is some water damage to the rest of the church but it was minimal. No one was in the building at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries.
Brown said Thursday that once the fire was extinguished and investigators could get in, it was easy to pinpoint the source of the fire. The greatest challenge to firefighters, he said, was that the fire was burning behind the walls of the structure.
In addition to the Fire Marshal’s Office, multiple fire departments responded to the fire, including North Catawba, Sawmills, Hudson and Lenoir. Little River Fire Department served as back up for the responding agencies.