Mooresville man accused of running scam
A man posed as an energy audit specialist took money up front from people throughout Western North Carolina to install windows and insulation but never did the work, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said.
Richard Farrant, 52, of Mooresville told people he worked for My Home LLC and Home Energy Services LLC and then pitched his services, requesting partial payment up front, said LouAnn Kincaide, Caldwell County public information officer.
Farrant was arrested Friday in Iredell County on a Caldwell County charge of obtaining property by false pretense. His bond was set at $15,000 secured.
The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office asks that anyone in Caldwell County who may have fallen victim to this scam call 828-758-2324.
The sheriff's office offered a few tips on how not to fall for scams:
• Check references of businesses and contractors.
• Research businesses on the Better Business Bureau at www.BBB.com.
• Be wary of giving personal information to a business or contractor.
• If a deal sounds too good to be true, it might not be true.
• If a business or person contacts you or solicits personal information, it could be a scam.
• If a business or person you do not know or have an account with contacts you for money, it could be a scam.