Hudson boy fights life-threatening illness

Portion of skull removed to ease brain
Jan. 15, 2014 @ 08:59 AM

Three weeks ago, 3-year-old Nolan Moore was driving his Fisher-Price Power Wheel truck around the backyard of his family’s house in Hudson. Now, he is in Brenner Children’s Hospital’s intensive care unit in Winston-Salem fighting for his life.

Nolan is suffering from an infection called Streptococcus anginosus, which traveled through his bloodstream and into his brain, resulting in numerous abscesses. The bacteria is common in the mouth and throat but can be deadly if it enters the bloodstream.

On Dec. 30, Nolan had tonsillectomy surgery at Viewmont Surgery Center in Hickory by a doctor with Carolina Ear, Nose and Throat. Since then, said Nolan’s mother, Candace Moore, he has not been the same.

“On Jan. 6, we admitted him to Frye Regional Medical Center because he had been sleeping up to 20 hours a day,” Moore said. “He was also dehydrated.”

See Illness/Page A5

Nolan was discharged from Frye on Jan. 8. The next day, he woke up at 2:45 a.m. gagging and vomiting. His body then went completely

“lifeless,” Moore said. Nolan was taken by ambulance to Catawba Valley Medical Center, and then flown to Brenner Children’s Hospital. Doctors removed the left side of his skull due to releive pressure from his brain swelling, and five abscesses on his brain were drained. His scalp was closed with 43 staples.

But his family feels he has improved some. He was removed from a ventilator on Monday and has been breathing on his own. An MRI is scheduled for today.

No connection to the tonsillectomy has been made to Nolan’s illness.

For now, his long-term prognosis is unclear, and he was listed in critical condition on Tuesday. But he is able to communicate, and there is hope.

“I was able to hold him on my lap Monday,” Moore said. “They said he will have speech problems, and his peripheral vision will be affected.”

Nolan’s great-grandparents, Nellie and Wayne Watson, and Moore’s mother, Donna Atkins, take turns caring for Nolan’s 18-month-old sister Carrie. Moore and her husband, Ryan, have taken a leave of absence from their jobs to be at his bedside. But the medical bills are mounting quickly. A fund called “Donations for Nolan Moore” has been set up at the two Certus Bank locations, on Wilkesboro Boulevard in Lenoir and Falls Avenue in Granite Falls.

But Nolan’s health is foremost on the minds of the Moores.

“You go from having a healthy normal, amazing child to someone completely different,” Candace Moore said.