Work resumes to find source of sinkhole

'It's a mess'
Jul. 26, 2013 @ 08:14 AM

Work resumed Thursday at the sinkhole in front of Mi Carreta Mexican Grill.

Equipment that had remained idle since last week was hauling dirt of the cavernous hole as Tom Reese of Huffman Grading looked for the damaged drain pipes suspected of being the source of the trouble.

"There's pieces of concrete and collapsed dirt down in there," said Tom Reese of Huffman Grading. "It's a mess."

Work at the sinkhole stopped last Tuesday, Reese said. He said he was told Thursday to start back up.

Property owner James Der said earlier this week he was told that the repair cost would exceed $100,000. Attorneys for Der and BCW Properties, which owns the land occupied by the Tobacco To Go convenience store, and insurance companies have been trying to determine who will pay for the repairs. It was not known Thursday whether a settlement had been reached. Der declined to comment, and calls to BCW Properties were not returned.

The earth began collapsing early last month after cracks appeared in the pavement around a storm drain in the parking lot of Mi Carreta, which remains open. Huffman Grading began excavating around the drain after determining old pipes, thought to have been installed in the 1960s, were leaking storm water, which eroded the ground under the pavement.