Boy struck by car improving

Family questions why driver not charged
Mar. 14, 2014 @ 08:16 AM

The 15-year-old West Caldwell High student struck by a car Feb. 24 remains in the hospital but is out of danger and continuing to improve, his family says.

The N.C. Highway Patrol is not going to charge the driver who hit Grayson Walker -- and the boy's family is upset about that, grandmother Roberta Brookshire said.

"We're not satisfied with how the investigation was handled," she said.

The driver, Brittany Moretz, was taking her daughter to Hudson Elementary School that morning around 7:30 a.m. when her Hyundai Elantra struck Grayson, who was retrieving the body of his 7-month-old pit bull, Isabell, from the middle of Fairwood Drive at the end of Jordan Place. The dog had been run over and killed a short time earlier.

Grayson was flown to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte with a head injury. A portion of his skull was removed to relieve brain swelling, and initially he was in critical condition and breathing with the aid of a ventilator. Grayson was removed from the ventilator Feb. 27 and later began following simple commands. Gray now has about four hours of physical therapy daily and is able to eat pureed food. He also has begun to walk on his own and is talking some.

The N.C. Highway Patrol said Moretz was not speeding. Moretz has said that she does not remember exactly what happened, but she insists she was not texting or using her phone. Moretz was interviewed by investigators at least two times, and a Highway Patrol accident-reconstruction team also looked into the incident.

Trooper Troy Stutts, who investigated the accident, said he did not check Moretz's cellphone records for any incoming or outgoing texts or phone calls.

"Nothing led me to believe she was on the phone or distracted," Stutts said.

Brookshire doesn't accept that the incident could have occurred if Moretz had her eyes on the road and her mind on her driving.

"I feel like if there is a cellphone in the car, it should be checked, especially with what happened to my grandson," Brookshire said.

"Somebody wasn't paying attention that day."