House destroyed, pets saved

Apr. 18, 2014 @ 08:15 AM

Fire gutted a house on Locust Avenue in Hudson, but emergency workers saved a cat and dog that were in the house.

A neighbor saw smoke coming from the house located at 179 Locust Ave. and called 911 just before 11 a.m., Hudson Fire Chief Tommy Courtner said. The owners, Zack and Sarah Trivette, were both at work at the time.

Firefighters arrived to find that the fire spreading rapidly from the basement throughout the main floor and attic of the house. Smoke swirled through the surrounding trees. After firefighters had begun to shoot water into the house, someone told them that a dog and cat were inside, Courtner said.

Firefighters went in to the smoke-filled house and found the cat had emerged from hiding, he said. A firefighter then saw a paw under a table where the dog was hiding.

Outside, the 10-month-old tabby, named Crixus after a character in "Spartacus," had wet, ruffled fur and seemed dazed and confused. EMS employee Lauren Harris held the cat while co-worker Benjamin Ellis held a cat-sized oxygen mask to its face. Before long, the cat was back to normal.

The dog, Hunter, did not need medical assistance.

Investigators determined that the fire may have started from an electrical short in the basement. The Caldwell County Fire Marshal's office is investigating.

The American Red Cross is assisting the Trivettes, but Zack Trivette said they will be staying with Sarah Trivette's parents on Setzer's Creek Road for now.

There was no damage estimate Thursday.