Panthers survive Watauga on road

Oct. 19, 2013 @ 06:31 AM

Hibriten traveled to a chilly Boone to take on the Watauga Pioneers at Jack Groce Stadium. The game became a thriller as the Panthers were on the winning end of a 45-44 game.

The Pioneers scored with 31 seconds to go in the game and chose to go for two and for the win. But, Aaron Dobbin’s pass fell short of the intended receiver.

Jacob Copper rushed for 160 yards on fourteen carries and five touchdowns. Devell Maxwell carries the ball 12 times for 136 and TiShawn Daniels rushed for 95 yards on 11 carries.

Watauga dressed in all blue, received the opening kickoff and marched 74 yards down to the eight yard line. The Panther defense held and kicker Stephen Shirley booted a 16-yard field goal. The Pioneers recovered the on-side kick at the Hibriten 35. Once again the Panther defense came to the occasion, holding the Pioneers on downs at the 25 yard line.

Eleven plays and 75 yards later, Copper sprinted in from 16 yards out. Luke Robson’s PAT gave the Panthers a 7-3 lead.

Watauga scored on their next possession, as quarterback Aaron Dobbins ran in from the 20 yards out.

The Panther offense responded with a 81 yard drive on 9 plays, capped by Devell Maxwell’s pitch from Copper around the right side for a 20 yard touchdown. The PAT was wide left and Hibriten held a 13-10 lead at the 4:23 mark in the second quarter.

Watauga answered on the very next play, a 61 yard pass from Dobbins to Cameron Baker.

The Panthers with their white jerseys and black pants, answered with long runs from TiShawn Daniels, Daquan Suddreth and Maxwell, taking the ball to the Pioneer ten yard line. Copper capped the drive with a ten yard touchdown.

The last score of the first half was Watauga’s Zack Williams on yard plunge to the end the half. Halftime score: Watauga 24 Hibriten 19

Hibriten’s first score of the second half was a short drive of 49 yards after a failed on side kick by Watauga. Daniels ran in from 18 yards out. The extra point run failed and Hibriten took a 25-24 lead.

Williams scored his second touchdown as Watauga retook the lead.

Copper scored two more touchdowns in the third quarter on runs of 1 and 19 yards. After three quarters Hibriten lead 38-31.

With nine minutes left in the game, Copper once again ran in from 10 yard out. Robson’s PAT gave the Panthers a 45-31 lead.

Watauga scored twice late in the game to cut the Panthers lead to one point. Watauga chose to go for the win, but the two-point conversion pass fell just short of the receiver.

Hibriten is now 8-0 overall and 4-0 in the Northwestern 3A/4A Conference. Watauga is now 6-2 overall and 2-2 in the Conference.

Hibriten will travel to Freedom next Friday night.