Fire and smoke damage house; family escapes

Jun. 29, 2013 @ 08:26 AM

An air conditioner or furnace is believed to have sparked a fire that damaged a home at 705 Seehorn St. in Lenoir around 11 a.m. Friday.

The fire started in the basement and quickly spread upstairs through the duct work and into the dining room and living room of the three-bedroom home, said Lenoir Fire Chief Ken Briscoe. The fire was extinguished in about 45 minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene for several hours. Much of the house suffered smoke and water damage, but a dollar estimate had not been established Friday.

Natasha Taylor, 24, said she was fixing breakfast just before 11 a.m. when one of her children ran into the kitchen and said smoke was coming up from a vent in a bedroom.

"We had just woke up," she said. "I opened up the basement door and there was fire around the steps, so I got them all out and called 911."

She and four children -- 15-year-old Kristina Price, Christian Price, 6, Josh Price, 7, and Charlie Price, 2 -- got out safely.

The home is owned by Taylor's mother-in-law, Joyce Taylor. Natasha's husband was not at home.