Scars from fire remain, but family doing better

Domanick Miller, now 2, fully recovered from burns suffered in Feb. 19 fire
Dec. 29, 2013 @ 08:19 AM

Domanick Miller, 2, has only two little scars, one on his back and another on his forehead, as physical reminders of the fire that destroyed his family's house in February and could have killed him.

There also may be a kind of mental scar, said his mother, Kayln Miller.

"I'm not sure if he remembers what happened, but every time he sees a bonfire, it bothers him a bit," Miller said. "But I am grateful I have all four of my kids. I can't ask for anything more."

Domanick, then 17 months old, was the youngest of four children in the family's Glendale Street hosue in Lenoir when a lava lamp or electric heater started a fire just feet from his crib about 9:30 a.m. Feb. 19. Miller was asleep with sons James and Jacob, then 3 and 2, across the hall when she woke to see a wall of smoke and flames. She grabbed Domick and fled the house. The eldest son, Johnny, then 6, was in school, and Miller's husband, James Miller Jr., was at work in Gastonia.

A pet cat died in the blaze. All four dogs survived, but one had to be rescusitated by a firefighter.

Domanick was flown to the burn unit at Brenner Children's Hospital in Winston-Salem with second-degree burns over almost half his body. He left the hospital eight days later.

For the next three weeks, his parents applied ointment and bandages to stave off infection. Since then, he has fully recovered and is doing fine, says his family. His last doctor's appointment was in July.

Since March, the family has been renting a house on Torrence Circle in Lenoir.