Fire destroys couple's mobile home

Two kittens also killed
Apr. 02, 2014 @ 08:24 AM

David Snyder Jr. and his wife, Pauline, started Tuesday celebrating their ninth anniversary. Their day was actually on March 29, but he finally had money this week to buy her a necklace and take her to lunch at AJ's Family Steakhouse.

Afterward on their way home, when they pulled onto Fall Street, about a half-mile past Hibriten High School, the giddiness quickly turned to horror.

"We were gone maybe four hours, came back, and my trailer was engulfed in flames," Snyder said.

Snyder's father, David Snyder Sr., who lives about 100 feet away, called 911 when he saw smoke coming from the mobile home. By the time firefighters arrived about 1:30 p.m., flames leapt from the windows at one end of the trailer, and thick rolls of black smoke filled the air above it.

"I lost everything. Stuff I can't replace I've lost," Snyder Jr. said.

Also lost in the fire were two kittens.

The cause of the fire had not been determined Tuesday, but Snyder Sr. said he thinks electrical wiring will be to blame because there had been problems in the rented mobile home for years.

Snyder Jr. says none of the electrical outlets in his bedroom worked, and he had run an extension cord from the opposite end of the trailer to power a TV and fan. He thinks the extension cord may have been overloaded.

The Snyders did not have insurance. Snyder Sr. said the age of the mobile home made it impossible to get insurance.